By ctousignant

A Message from Residence Life

March 24, 2020

Dear Parents & Students,

You will find below an email that was sent to students with residence hall move-out information.  You can also find information on the website under Res Life by clicking here.

It truly saddens us to say goodbye to you and to our spring semester in this way. In accordance with the safety guidelines given by the CDC and by Governor Baker, Nichols College has made the decision to hold off allowing residents to move out of their rooms until after April 7th at NOON, when the lift of the Emergency Order issued on March 23rd, 2020 occurs.

**If additional changes occur from the CDC, Federal/local governments, understand that these dates and times may need to change. We will update as soon as possible if this occurs**

Beginning on Wednesday, April 8th you will have the opportunity to move out. In order to facilitate a move out, students will be required to make a Move-Out Appointment; you will have the opportunity to move out starting on Wednesday, April 8th through Saturday, April 18th. There will be PLENTY of appointment times available for our residential students to come retrieve their belongings.  

We will continue to allow this move out schedule until such time that travel bans/social distancing are completely lifted. Keep in mind, in order to comply with the safety guidelines recommended and set forth by the CDC and Governor Baker, we need to limit the number of students moving out per day and at any given time.

Understand that your items will remain locked and secure within your room as we are working through coordinating with students to retrieve their belongings. Move out appointments will begin on the morning of April 8th

What is the Move-Out Process?

Students will be REQUIRED to make an appointment to return and pick up their belongings. Understand this is to limit the number of students within the residence halls at any given time.

Please click Move Out Appointment Sign Up to make your appointment.

Move out appointments will begin on the morning of April 8th and will be offered until April 18th.

Once your appointment is made, we will be reaching out to you with instructions to your Nichols College Email Address.

If you have a roommate(s), we suggest you coordinate so you are not all in the room/suite/apartment at the same time. It is up to each individual person to be sure they are respecting social distancing.

Why do I need to sign up for a check-out appointment?

We ask all residents to sign-up for a check-out time to help limit crowds on-campus. Not only is this important to limit potential exposure through social distancing, but also ensures there is adequate parking, elevator access, clear trash rooms, and more.

Understand, you are not permitted to retrieve your belongings without an appointment.

What do I do If I have already moved my belongings home, but still have my key?

If you have already moved your belongings out of the halls prior to Spring Break and still have your room key. Please mail it to: Office of Residence Life, 121 Center Road, Dudley MA 01527 in a padded envelope. We encourage you to insure the package at your Post Office.

When I arrive to check-out, where can I park?

Upon arrival to campus, we ask you to park in B, N or M residential parking lots rather than the campus roads or spaces directly next to your building. Once you are fully packed and ready to move out, you may move your car to a location close to your building to load your belongings. You will be emailed specific instructions once your appointment is made.

What are my options if I am unable to return to Nichols to move out?

Try to find a trusted friend or family member to be your proxy who can pack up your space on your behalf and put items in storage. Once the details are finalized, please email reslife@nichols.edu with your name, room number and the name and phone number of the person who is going to pack up your room on your behalf. You should sign up for a move-out time and your proxy should arrive at that time. Once you or your proxy arrives on campus for move out please follow signage/directions.

If you do not have someone who can pack up your room, please connect with reslife@nichols.edu to seek out alternative options.

UHAUL is offering free storage for a month for college students- Please Click here for more information, UHAUL Website.

What are the expectations for cleanliness when I leave my space? Can I check out cleaning supplies?

We ask that you remove ALL items, trash, and belongings. Do your best to clean your space with the supplies you have. We will not be checking out cleaning supplies in order to limit any person to person exposure from individuals handling the same objects over and over again. We will not be charging for room damages unless there is damage to the structural integrity of rooms, if there is major furniture damage, or if you leave items in your room.

I have items I want to donate. Is there a way to do that?

Unfortunately, due to the quick turnaround with planning, we are not able to provide donation options. If you have items to donate, please seek out local service organizations. In Dudley/Webster Area there are bins and a Salvation Army located at 118 E Main St # 120, Webster, MA 01570.

Will Nichols assist me in packing or moving? Will carts or hand trucks be available?

Unfortunately, we do not have the staffing capabilities to assist our on-campus students to pack or move-out.

To reduce as much exposure as possible, we do NOT have carts or hand trucks available for move out and suggest you bring your own to assist in your move out.

Am I permitted to have guests help me move?

Yes, you may have a guest accompany you to assist with move out. Keep in mind, that it is your responsibility to practice social distancing and to use prevention methods.

My family needs to stay the night in a hotel since we have a big commute. Do you know of any local hotel deals?

A list of local hotels is attached to this email for your reference.

Will residents be reimbursed for room and board and what will cost look like?

Student Financial Services is working to calculate all reimbursements for residential students.  They expect this process will take up to 6 weeks and will communicate any updates to you directly.

What will returning books at the bookstore look like? 

Information regarding book return will be emailed to all renters close to the end of the semester. More details will be communicated through the Bookstore in the coming weeks. Please direct questions to bookstore@nichols.edu.

How do I forward my mail for the rest of the year?    

Forwarding your mail can be done through the USPS website. Please contact the mailroom for further information or questions by email mailroom@nichols.edu.

If I have an outstanding conduct case, will I still have to meet with a conduct office? What happens with my sanctions?

All pending conduct cases will be reviewed on a case by case basis.  The Office of Community Standards will contact each student for appropriate resolutions to cases.  All student status sanctions will remain in effect as determined by the existing deadline dates.  If you have specific questions regarding your current sanctions or pending cases, please email community.standards@nichols.edu.

If you have any further questions, please contact us reslife@nichols.edu or at 508-213-2480 Mon-Fri. 9am-4pm.

Thank you,

The Office of Residence Life

Contact

comments

Add comment

Your comment will be revised by the site if needed.